Saturday, January 17, 2009

Arabic Books

I've always thought it was a shame I wasn't much of a reader of Arabic books. I have tried to get recommendations but the thing is, I haven't been successful with finding them. Plus the thing with Arabic books is that I always end up wondering what the story meant or something.

The thing with Arabic writings in general, is that I don't get them. It's my fault entirely really, my vocabulary isn't large enough as I'd like it to be.
However, I'd like to offer my humble opinion about them, which shouldn't be seriously considered looking at the fact that I don't read a lot of Arabic books. Anyways, I just find most Arabic stories to be vague. They start with talking about a 'he' or a 'she' through out the whole story, without offering clear statements whether it was related to the name of the character, their situation in life, or anything that would help you understand their story. It offers thoughts about a certain circumstance and goes on from there to have a very open and vague ending.
I can absolutely understand how people can love such stories. The mystery and the amount of freedom that is left to the reader to build their own thoughts and ideas about the characters and the events is very appealing but I have to say that I have been very unfortunate so far to be a hard critic of Arabic stories.

I just wish I had more opportunities to read Arabic books, so I think I'm going to be starting a list of Must-Read-Arabic-Books, I already have a list of books I want to read and, surprise, surprise, they're all in English. It's just sad! Anyways, before I start blabbering all again I'll wrap this up by saying if you have a nice Arabic book to recommend please leave a comment. :)

No comments: