Sunday, July 10, 2011

The Prophet - Khalil Gibran

The Prophet, speaks of life. It's not actually what you think it is. It's not full of philosophical ideas you won't grasp. Quite the contrary; it offers insights into daily matters. When you read Gibran speaking of love, prayer and giving you think what kind of life did he lead that made him capable of such wisdom? What did he go through? How on earth can he use such beautiful language to make you feel at peace with the world?
My first chapter was children. It was brilliant and I was shocked at how eloquent it was, and how it expressed such profound ideas. I was captivated. Reading further into it, my conviction of its brilliance only deepened. I don't want to go on and on about it, I think if you would read the quotes I chose, you'll get a feel of what I'm talking about:


And ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.
On love

And stand together, yet not too near together.

For the pillars of the temple stand apart,
And the oak tree and the cypress grow not in each other's shadow.
On marriage

You give but little when give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give.

On giving

The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain.

On joy and sorrow

Oftentimes have I heard you speak of one who commits a wrong as though he were not one of you, but a stranger unto you and an intruder upon your world.

On crime and punishment

And you would accept the seasons of your heart, even as you have always accepted the seasons that pass over your fields.

On pain

The soul walks not upon a line, neighter does it grow like a reed. The soul unfolds itself, like a lotus of countless petals.

On self-knowledge

And when he is silent your heart ceases not to listen to his heart.

On friendship

And there are those who talk, and without knowledge or forethought reveal a truth which they themselves do not understand.

On talking

In your longing for your giant self lies your goodness; and that longing is in all of you.

On good and evil


 Heaps and heaps of gratitude are due to Ammar, who is a giver by nature. I wouldn't have appreciated the Prophet the same had I read it on my own.

1 comment:

Ammar said...

Thanks Noor, it is the least i can do to be honest. I am super glad you enjoyed the book.