Sunday, August 3, 2008

So I got some really shocking news from mom the other day. T was engaged (let's refer to the girl as T). I was like, mom you're kidding right? The girl is like a year or two younger than me and well she's just way too young for her to be engaged. Of course, the girl had absolutely no say in the matter since she was marrying her cousin who is probably a graduate, and her family forced her into it. So it's arranged marriage and she's way too young. Well, you know I really think her family is doing her the biggest injustice in the world, because she's going to have to leave school, worry about getting children and looking after the house when all her concerns should be doing well in school and looking for a brighter future.

I really hate when these things happen. I mean ok even if they asked the girl about her opinion, she'd be too embarrassed to say what she really thought to her family, because in some families here the girl doesn't get a say in matters, or she just saw that it's what happened to her sister so it's what's going to happen to her too. That girl used to go to my school, we used to help her with English. She's just one of those girls that you know had still a lot of years to really know what's going on out there in the world. I know I'm still really young too, and haven't seen anything of the world, but I mean come on, doing that to her, how is she ever to break free from that cycle without getting her education? Well, hopefully in a way it'll work out for her and she'll be able to at least finish her education and lead a happy life.

Oh and let's not over-look the possibility of her actually wanting to marry, but at this age she doesn't know what she wants so yeah anyways, just had to mention that!

2 comments:

Waed S. said...

:|
this is so frustrating ! I wonder when such things will seize exist !
a girl her age shudn't be thinking about marriage !
but life is unfair ! Jordan is taking ages to change when it comes to such habbits so what about Oman ?!

PS : Leen's friend got married and now she is 5 months pregnant !
:|

Unknown said...

:|.. OMG! I knew about arranged marriages and the like in some parts of the world, but I didn't expect them to be so near my friends' lifes! (By this I mean, I didn't expect you'd know someone who's getting married and is hmm.. possibly 4 years younger than me!)

As you said, hopefully she'll finish her studies and break free from that cycle. If you could talk to her, it would be great as well :)*