Thursday, January 7, 2010

My Name is Red



I started reading My Name is Red with hardly any expectations, I was filled with excitement to be reading my first book about the Ottoman era, and the first time reading for a Turkish author though, and I was not disappointed. The author is brilliant! I don't know what to think of it, I'm not sure if I understand what the book was trying to say completely, but such a book must be read I believe. I can't really talk about it, I don't know why, it's hard to describe it to my sister even, and that doesn't happen to me that often. You just have to read it to know, even if you don't like it you won't be left disappointed.


Here's a quote I loved:
"Nevertheless, I must confess that it gave me a certain pleasure to behave as if I were afraid of them. An artist's skill depends on carefully attending to the beauty of the present moment, taking everything down to the minutest detail seriously, while at the same time, stepping back from the world, which takes itself too seriously, and as if looking into a mirror allowing for the distance and eloquence of a jest."
Page 368

My Name is Red
Orhan Pamuk
Vintage

2 comments:

Nema said...

So finally, a review ;)
I don't know if I can find the book here, I shall finish the ones I got first :D haha.
I'll probably wall you on fb tomorrow insha'allah and tell you about Life of Pi, I'm in the last chapter *YAY FINALLY* lol I know I'm a lazy ass, it's just hard to read novels during semesters.

KEEP WRITING YOUR REVIEWS! ;)
Much love <3

Mandi said...

I couldn't find the right words to describe the book at first either! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment.