Monday, March 10, 2008

To Learn

I always thought girls in my class when teachers were mad at them for not knowing the answer, didn't care. They would simply simle, and it always meant a sign of shaking the matter off. But today when I realized the situation I saw something else.
It was Maths lesson and before that lesson we had a free period and we were trying to explain the lesson to some of the girls because they didn't understand it. After that, the teacher was asking if we've done our homework, usual nods and yeses. Then the teacher was like 'Are you sure?' Then came a few students who didn't do it because they didn't understand the lesson.

Anyways, I don't want to go into details of the lesson, because it was disturbing and I have been talking about teachers too much.
A girl, who was amoung those who didn't understand the lesson, was going to answer but she didn't know how. When she came back to her seat, she smiled the usual smile when teachers were mad, but this time I don't know why, there was some sort of helplessness, as if it was the only thing to do. After such an incident, knowing it will surely happen again. I knew it's not her fault solely.

It was really furstrating seeing the look on her face, I just wish teachers would realize that putting someone down isn't the best way to get them to study. I don't claim to know what is the best method to get students studying, but really, putting someone down! I know teachers get furstrated too because girls don't study and sometimes they don't care about it. But even so, they don't have a right to put someone down.

This incident has shed some light on this matter, and I'm grateful it has. I no longer think that it's the girls' fault only.

I shall end this there, may this stop because learning is such a great thing.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

When I was in school and the teacher asked questions, I was like the Hermione. Joking :P. But I also thought some kids were a bit idiotic for helplessly smiling to the teacher. In most of the cases, I dunno, the teacher asked with a smile: "Please answer, do you know or not?", and the student kept on smiling, which was frustrating, at least for me.

But you are right, this also can show some lack of tutoring from the teacher's side, something that should not occur for the students' sake. Learning is a beautiful, indeed :)*